We rely on our teeth every single day to do their job, teeth help us eat, allow us to smile with confidence and speak clearly. Dr Jack shares Six things you may not know are happening in your mouth right now.
- There are more than 300 species of bacteria found in your mouth!
- Plaque build-up on your teeth contains millions of bacteria
- The main culprit for poor tooth health is Streptococcus mutans is the main type of Bacteria found in your mouth.
- Bacteria in your mouth convert sugar and other carbohydrates into the acids which eat away at your teeth.
- You make a lot of spit (Saliva)
- About 40,000 litres of spit in your lifetime.
- About one litre every day
- Spit makes it easier to eat and swallow
- Saliva contains enzymes to help in digestion
- Saliva washes away food particles from your teeth
- Spit contains calcium and phosphate
- Saliva neutralize the acids in plaque that may damage and decay teeth
- Your teeth are unique! Just like your DNA or your fingerprints:
- Dental records are often used to identify human remains and in criminal investigations
- Identical twins do not have identical teeth
- Your tongue is also unique
- Your tooth is like an iceberg:
- You never know what lies beneath. Just like an iceberg you can’t see what lies beneath the surface of your teeth
- About one third of your tooth lies underneath your gum. Healthy gums are key to keeping your teeth in great shape
- You have 32 teeth:
- Or at least you should by the time you are 18 years old. Some people may not get wisdom teeth, but most people do.
- You have eight front teeth (upper and lower incisors)
- Four canine teeth (The pointy ones)
- Eight premolars (The ones on the sides)
- Twelve molars (including 4 wisdom teeth)
- Enamel is the hardest part of your body:
- The outside layer of your tooth is the Enamel
- It protects your teeth from damage
- It is mostly made of calcium and phosphate
- Proteins and crystallites that form Enamel is what makes it extra strong
Dr Jack is available at Infinity Dental Care six days a week Monday to Saturday with evening appointments available. To find out more about how our friendly team can help you overcome your dental phobia, contact the Infinity Dental Care team.
You will find us in The Winston Hills Mall, 180 Caroline Chisholm Drive, Winston Hills NSW 2153. Call our friendly staff on (02) 9838 9111 to schedule a consultation.